Skip to main content

Sunday Perspective

I get drawn into "weekend mode" very easily. It's the American Way. We love having our personal time to do the things we want. We enjoy the flexibility of time off, or making a little extra money; and entertainment is almost always a must. 

The dictionary defines "weekend" as - the end of a week, especially the period of time between Friday evening and Monday morning.
I also looked up some statistics on how the average American uses their time; especially their Sundays. I came to the conclusion that most people, sleep, eat and watch t.v. on Sundays. Their personal hygiene and care are lower on Sundays compared to week days (although not as low as on Saturdays). 
So my conclusion from internet statistics and watching my friends, family, and neighbors is that most people use their weekends to relax, catch up on work (if you're a workaholic or have low income), and over all spend your weekend how you please. 
After a long week at work everyone loves to do their own thing. No boss, no rules, no time restraints. You can sleep in, eat out, eat in, no certain attire is required and wow! you can just be you!

And now everyone is waiting for me to tell you why that is all so wrong. But, it's not ALL so wrong. It never pays to blow things out of proportion or forget that every person, and circumstance is different. But I do have some thoughts on how to view your weekend and Sundays that might not have such a popular view. The way we view Sunday is probably the way we view ourselves. The way we use Sunday is probably the way we use God. 

View 1: Sunday is part of my weekend. I use the day to catch up on things put aside during the week. I run errands and do some things pertaining to my job. I sleep in (it's my only day to catch up on sleep) and eat a good home cooked meal for dinner. I spend time with my kids and pets, playing and watching t.v. together. I catch up on missed t.v. episodes, watch the news and the in-season sports event. 
(My time is important to me. Checking things of my list and wrapping up the week is important to me. Spending time with my family is important to me. Relaxing and getting time to myself is important to me.) 

View 2: Sunday is the first day of a new week. Last week is over, I've set aside my to-do list for today. Sunday is a day to worship God, fellowship and renew my mind and spirit, and spend quality time with God and my family. I attend Church, a read my Bible, I take a nap, and visit with my family. I participate in Church actives and duties. I give time everyday to God, but I give all day Sunday to God. It's a special day each week to give thanks and worship Him. 
(Glorifying God is important to me. Resting my mind and body is important to me. Giving my all at church in duties and worship is important to me. Starting me week with God is important to me.) 

Do you view Sundays as yours and use God to make yourself look good (view 1) or do you view God as most important and let God use you as he knows to be most useful. (view 2) 

I've noticed that a lot of people skip church to "completely" enjoy their time off and take full enjoyment of their weekend. They just don't have enough time to get everything done that was supposed to be done this week. But what if your week ended on Saturday? What if your to-do list took a day off?
Your focus on Monday after a day of complete rest and worship would be stunning! Are your plans and wants most important? Are you stingy with your time? You probably view Sunday as "Your" weekend.
Do you look forward to worshiping God? Do you prepare for Sundays on Saturday night? Do you fellowship and repair your emotions and body on Sundays? Do you view Sundays as a special day, different from each of the other six days of the week? You probably view Sunday as the first day of the week. A day to cherish and use wisely.

But do you remind yourself that no hour of the day (any day) is yours to use? Our time and our lives belong to someone and something much greater - God. We ought to be living, using, and enjoying every minute of the time God has given us. Sunday is a great place to start, a great place to focus our time with God on. But once you've made a habit of seeking God on Sundays, don't forget about the other six days He has created for us.

Learning to serve,
Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42 Questions To Ask Your Spouse On Valentine's Day

If you and your spouse were on the Newlywed game show... would you win? My husband and I are going to a couple's retreat next month and decided to get a head start on it by brushing up on our newlywed gameshow questions. We actually did pretty well the first time through, but we keep giving each other pop quizzes to keep the answers fresh in our minds. Below I've made a list of common couples questions that you and your spouse might find fun to ask each other. 1) What is your spouse's all time favorite movie? 2) What would your spouse request as their "last meal"? 3) What is your spouse's favorite pastime? 4) What percentage of housework would your husband say he does? 5) What flavor of cake did you have at your wedding? 6) What is your spouse's ideal date night? 7) Excluding people, what would your spouse say is their most prized possession? 8) At what specific sport or game will you wife say she is better than you? 9) What is your spouse&#

DIY Window Cleaner

Day two of our prep work for the Spring Cleaning Challenge! Today I'm going to give you a recipe for window cleaner.  I've also been told that using warm water and a little bit of cornstarch is a great way to clean your windows as well. I don't have a recipe or a ratio for you though. I hope you are gearing up for the Challenge, it's only 7 days away! Don't forget to leave a comment below if you want to join us for the Spring Cleaning Challenge. Sarah

Mom Rules

Being a mom has a whole lot more to do with life than changing poopy diapers, nursing, schooling, dressing, and disciplining. It's when you change that diaper or where you nurse your baby, how you go about schooling and why and how you discipline. I've made a short 3 point list of rules every mom (or parent) should have. It's short and easy to remember so you can quickly think through the questions when parenting. Rule 1 - The Golden Rule Matthew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the law and prophets." Treat your children as if they are a person, a real person who understand, cares, feels, and dreams. They are not your minions, your slaves, or even yours at all for that matter. They belong to the Lord and they are yours to nurture, love, and teach. They have a soul, and feelings. When debating if you have time to change their diaper, or heat up their lunch, or grab that pair of mittens… remember they have fe