Skip to main content

Are You A Perfectionist?


Have you ever thought about what you would do if you achieved perfection? Every day I write a list, I do my best to accomplish everything on that list. I also try to love and nourish my husband and child, I try to not rip off my boss or the company in any way, I say yes to people in need whenever possible...and the list is ongoing. How much does it take to be perfect? How much stuff do I need to accomplish before I am satisfied with myself?
Or,
Is perfection the opposite? Is it letting go of the lists and all of the doing. Is it found in meditation and quietness? Should you say no, more often and carry less of other people's burdens? Where is perfection?

Here is a litte survey to expand further into "Are You A Perfectionist?" No it's not going to pop up and say...Hurray you are a perfectionist!, or "I'm sorry but you'll just have to try harder to achieve perfection." It's just 10 questions that I think will get you thinking more about hints of perfectionism in your life. Take the survey now - "Are You A Perfectionist?"

Now let's look into the word perfection a little more...

The Dictionary

The dictionary describes perfection like this... "a quality, trait, or feature of the highest degree of excellence."

It also says that perfection stems from the Latin word perfectio - a finishing or to bring to completion. 

The Bible

The Bible says this...
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 3:23

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

"But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, Lord, do you not care that my sisters left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me. But the Lord answered her, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things"
Luke 10:40-41

"But one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:42

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
Philippians 1:6

My Thoughts

That word completion in the last verse means to finish or make perfect. Sound familiar? So we should crave perfection through Christ, but never should we take perfection into our own hands and assume that we could bring the end of life as we know it by our perfectious works.  (maybe the previous verses will make more sense now - go back and read them again.)

When we strive for perfection through our works we are turning a cold shoulder to Christ and telling Him that we can make it on our own. We are good. We are good enough without Him. 

But when we strive for perfection with the thought of Christ in mind. We strive for an eternal home with Christ -  a finishing or completion of our earthly life and an eternal home of true perfection with God. 

I'm an earthly perfectionist. It's one of my greatest sins. I believe in myself, instead of Christ's all-powerful leadership. I find myself worshiping my worthless deeds instead of the one who created me and everything about me.  I am proud to be a perfectionist. I am proud of what I have accomplished today, this year, and in my life. But how proud am I of God, how proud am I of his great works in my life? Have I stepped aside and even allowed Him to do great works in my life?


Are you a perfectionist? Do you struggle with giving over leadership to Christ? 

Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42 Questions To Ask Your Spouse On Valentine's Day

If you and your spouse were on the Newlywed game show... would you win? My husband and I are going to a couple's retreat next month and decided to get a head start on it by brushing up on our newlywed gameshow questions. We actually did pretty well the first time through, but we keep giving each other pop quizzes to keep the answers fresh in our minds. Below I've made a list of common couples questions that you and your spouse might find fun to ask each other. 1) What is your spouse's all time favorite movie? 2) What would your spouse request as their "last meal"? 3) What is your spouse's favorite pastime? 4) What percentage of housework would your husband say he does? 5) What flavor of cake did you have at your wedding? 6) What is your spouse's ideal date night? 7) Excluding people, what would your spouse say is their most prized possession? 8) At what specific sport or game will you wife say she is better than you? 9) What is your spouse&#

DIY Window Cleaner

Day two of our prep work for the Spring Cleaning Challenge! Today I'm going to give you a recipe for window cleaner.  I've also been told that using warm water and a little bit of cornstarch is a great way to clean your windows as well. I don't have a recipe or a ratio for you though. I hope you are gearing up for the Challenge, it's only 7 days away! Don't forget to leave a comment below if you want to join us for the Spring Cleaning Challenge. Sarah

Mom Rules

Being a mom has a whole lot more to do with life than changing poopy diapers, nursing, schooling, dressing, and disciplining. It's when you change that diaper or where you nurse your baby, how you go about schooling and why and how you discipline. I've made a short 3 point list of rules every mom (or parent) should have. It's short and easy to remember so you can quickly think through the questions when parenting. Rule 1 - The Golden Rule Matthew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the law and prophets." Treat your children as if they are a person, a real person who understand, cares, feels, and dreams. They are not your minions, your slaves, or even yours at all for that matter. They belong to the Lord and they are yours to nurture, love, and teach. They have a soul, and feelings. When debating if you have time to change their diaper, or heat up their lunch, or grab that pair of mittens… remember they have fe