Skip to main content

Hiding in Plain Sight


Sometimes in Mystery/Action novels the villain hides the item everyone is looking for right out in the open. It's disguised or simply unknown to the lookers. They search every hidden passage, crack, and crevice for the item, passing by the real things a hundred times. But because it's in plain sight there is no way that they will find it...it's too obvious! Decorating a home is a bit like an action adventure, keeping up with the needs, wants, children, and messes that come with it all. Sometimes hiding the uglies can be hard and sometimes it's best to just hide them in plain sight!

1) Laundry Room: the laundry room/closet/area is full of necessary yet messy things.
 A) Buy an ironing board cover that matches the room decor
 B) Buy baskets to place cleaning prodcuts, laundry detergents, etc... ( I found mine at Aldi!)
 C) Add useful decor...laundry soap in a cute jar with a fun label. Fancy box to hold the lint etc...
 D) Don't forget to decorate your laundry room if you have space. There are tons of fun signs and decor for the laundry and it will make you smile when you go to do laundry.



2) Kitchen: Everyone owns too many small appliances, and kitchen gadgets, but we've gotten pretty good at hiding those. Here are few ways I openly hide my kitchen needs.

A) Display real fruit when possible. It's colorful and when good food is accessible you tend to eat it more often.


 B) Everyone needs a chore list, but not everyone makes them attractive!
 C) Find up-to-date cute canisters to keep your most used dry food in. Handy, cute, functional! ( I found these at Target)
D) Dish towels are one of the cutest things for the kitchen, but most people stash them away in a drawer to get caught up under the cabinet and drive you insane. Instead place them in a cute basket or bucket or anything that matches your decor and set it next to the sink. 
 E) Wooden spoons and cooking oil - I've interspersed much used items with decor items. They sit right next to my stove top. Cute? Yes. Functional? You bet! Especially because I don't have a drawer next to my stove.
3) Cords, Cords, Cords: With the technology age in full swing I think we've come up with some clever ideas to keep all the uglyness hidden but there are still challenges lurking. I have one phone jack in my entire home...it's on the kitchen counter! Really?! I also have to keep certain internet boxes x amount of feet apart. Big problem for this aesthetic loving lady. 
 So Most of it is in the corner cabinet hidden behind the cook books. Easy access and not too much cord showing. It took one little hole in the side of the cabinet. But then I had that box that couldn't sit by the other boxes but still had to be hooked to the one phone jack...

So I hid it in a cute wooden box I found on my property, dolled it up and added a few other things so it looks like I really wanted all that stuff on my countertop! 

 4) Bathrooms: I don't personally find bathrooms to be that hard. I put all of my toiletries in the drawer or under the sink in plastic drawers or divided caddies. You just get used to getting out what you need each time. I hate clutter (thanks mom) and I'm willing to go the extra mile each day to keep it away.

One thing I don't have in my house is a linen closet. But towels are pretty so I just had to find a functional, accessible, sanitary way to store them. In the guest bathroom I use this old drawer with dividers in it to hold wash clothes. It sets on the back of the toilet.
The Big towels are rolled up and in a basket in the guest room. My daughters towel is hanging on a hook on the back of the bathroom door. The Master bathroom is still being worked on/decorated. But it has a cart with shelves where our towels (not being used) are rolled up and stacked and washclothes in a basket on top.
5) Music Books: For most people this is not an issue, but for the music lover, it can be hard to find a safe place for your music books. I had them in a file cabinet for a long time, but it was really hard to get the ones in the back out and they were being bowed very badly. I found this fun little table at a garage sale. the top has the things I play the most, the second has all vocal music, and the bottom (floor) has the thing I use the least with a few more I like on the top of those I don't use much. And of course the piano bench is full also, but of the less attractive items. 

How do you openly hide items in your house? Tell your secrets!

Sarah 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42 Questions To Ask Your Spouse On Valentine's Day

If you and your spouse were on the Newlywed game show... would you win? My husband and I are going to a couple's retreat next month and decided to get a head start on it by brushing up on our newlywed gameshow questions. We actually did pretty well the first time through, but we keep giving each other pop quizzes to keep the answers fresh in our minds. Below I've made a list of common couples questions that you and your spouse might find fun to ask each other. 1) What is your spouse's all time favorite movie? 2) What would your spouse request as their "last meal"? 3) What is your spouse's favorite pastime? 4) What percentage of housework would your husband say he does? 5) What flavor of cake did you have at your wedding? 6) What is your spouse's ideal date night? 7) Excluding people, what would your spouse say is their most prized possession? 8) At what specific sport or game will you wife say she is better than you? 9) What is your spouse&#

DIY Window Cleaner

Day two of our prep work for the Spring Cleaning Challenge! Today I'm going to give you a recipe for window cleaner.  I've also been told that using warm water and a little bit of cornstarch is a great way to clean your windows as well. I don't have a recipe or a ratio for you though. I hope you are gearing up for the Challenge, it's only 7 days away! Don't forget to leave a comment below if you want to join us for the Spring Cleaning Challenge. Sarah

Mom Rules

Being a mom has a whole lot more to do with life than changing poopy diapers, nursing, schooling, dressing, and disciplining. It's when you change that diaper or where you nurse your baby, how you go about schooling and why and how you discipline. I've made a short 3 point list of rules every mom (or parent) should have. It's short and easy to remember so you can quickly think through the questions when parenting. Rule 1 - The Golden Rule Matthew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the law and prophets." Treat your children as if they are a person, a real person who understand, cares, feels, and dreams. They are not your minions, your slaves, or even yours at all for that matter. They belong to the Lord and they are yours to nurture, love, and teach. They have a soul, and feelings. When debating if you have time to change their diaper, or heat up their lunch, or grab that pair of mittens… remember they have fe