Skip to main content

Seed Rotation - Balancing Hormones

Let's talk about hormones today. I have been on a wild hormone journey for many years now, and have just recently found a way to cope with them in a way that I feel comfortable with. I am not a doctor and am in no way prescribing anything for you. I will be sharing my experience, and sharing links to websites that have helped me a great deal.



My Story

7 years ago I started taking birth control pills. I was 22, and in good health - until I started the pill that is. After several months of taking them I quit because they were making me depressed, and very disagreeable to live with. (for myself and others) Two pregnancies and six years later, I was still struggling with hormone imbalance from the pills and life in general. Mood swings, extreme tiredness (I could sleep for 10+ hours every night and take naps), brain fog, depression, and weight gain. I felt awful, and it was increasingly harder to run my house and manage my children feeling this way. 

Wellness Mama

If you are interested in health and you haven't heard about Wellness Mama, then you are about to thank me for the information I'm about to give you. I receive an overview e-mail every Sunday from WellnessMama.com . I have given health different amounts of my time over the years and at this point I wasn't doing a lot of research and usually deleted her e-mails without looking at them. But on this day I scanned the article headlines and saw one about balancing hormones. I was pretty sure that I had a problem with them and thought " It won't hurt to breeze through the article." Her articles are usually very long because they contain a lot of research, so I tend to scan them for interesting tidbits unless I'm really digging into an issue. This particular link ended up being an hour long podcast which was even more of a deterrent to me, because I rarely have a full hour to listen to a podcast - A deep one at that. But God had other things in mind, and I found the time and I listened to the whole thing. (Listen to that podcast here.) 

Magdalena Wszelaki 

The person Wellness Momma was interviewing that day was Magdalena Wszelaki. (she has a beautiful accent!) After playing around with the few bits of information I gleaned from the podcast and experimenting on myself I looked up Magdalena's website. HormonesBalance.com There I found a wealth of information in free resources and video classes and what appears to be great programs you can enroll in (for a price) if you need assistance. I've recently watched this class (Cooking for Balance) and have found many more tips as to what foods and seeds I should eat at what times of day or certain times of the month. 

The Basic Idea

I've played around with this for several months now and have figured out a base of what works for me. I'm going to give the basic ideas of what I've done, but each person's body is different and I also know that there is a lot I haven't figured out yet. But if this can jump start you into your own research of the topic then I would be ecstatic to have helped someone else feel a whole lot better! 

Day 1 of your cycle (when your period begins ) take 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 1 tablespoon of  pumpkin seeds each day. You are boosting estrogen.
Around day 14 or whenever you ovulate you will switch to taking 1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds and 1 Tablespoon of sesame seeds. You are boosting progesterone. 

Conclusion

I think the simplest way to eat the seeds is in a salad, Magdalena also suggested a smoothie. What I love about Magdalena's site is that she suggests healing with food first, and although she offers programs that require money, she specifically says, " If you think you can do it without my help, give it a try." she is super low key, but very knowledgeable. Don't be afraid to play around with different things until something works for you. Do your research, be consistent. Good luck on your journey.

Sarah 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42 Questions To Ask Your Spouse On Valentine's Day

If you and your spouse were on the Newlywed game show... would you win? My husband and I are going to a couple's retreat next month and decided to get a head start on it by brushing up on our newlywed gameshow questions. We actually did pretty well the first time through, but we keep giving each other pop quizzes to keep the answers fresh in our minds. Below I've made a list of common couples questions that you and your spouse might find fun to ask each other. 1) What is your spouse's all time favorite movie? 2) What would your spouse request as their "last meal"? 3) What is your spouse's favorite pastime? 4) What percentage of housework would your husband say he does? 5) What flavor of cake did you have at your wedding? 6) What is your spouse's ideal date night? 7) Excluding people, what would your spouse say is their most prized possession? 8) At what specific sport or game will you wife say she is better than you? 9) What is your spouse&#

DIY Window Cleaner

Day two of our prep work for the Spring Cleaning Challenge! Today I'm going to give you a recipe for window cleaner.  I've also been told that using warm water and a little bit of cornstarch is a great way to clean your windows as well. I don't have a recipe or a ratio for you though. I hope you are gearing up for the Challenge, it's only 7 days away! Don't forget to leave a comment below if you want to join us for the Spring Cleaning Challenge. Sarah

Mom Rules

Being a mom has a whole lot more to do with life than changing poopy diapers, nursing, schooling, dressing, and disciplining. It's when you change that diaper or where you nurse your baby, how you go about schooling and why and how you discipline. I've made a short 3 point list of rules every mom (or parent) should have. It's short and easy to remember so you can quickly think through the questions when parenting. Rule 1 - The Golden Rule Matthew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the law and prophets." Treat your children as if they are a person, a real person who understand, cares, feels, and dreams. They are not your minions, your slaves, or even yours at all for that matter. They belong to the Lord and they are yours to nurture, love, and teach. They have a soul, and feelings. When debating if you have time to change their diaper, or heat up their lunch, or grab that pair of mittens… remember they have fe