Skip to main content

Recent Reads & Reviews

My book list has gotten out of control again and at the worst time. I was in the middle of book mania, doing Bible study homework weekly, started a Charlotte Mason book club with weekly readings, and of course I had a small(ish) stack of books that I was in the middle of reading or about to start on my nightstand... and then pregnancy brain hit. Oh dreaded pregnancy brain - where a poor, tired mom now can't even do the simplest tasks without messing everything up.  (for those of you who keep up to date with my posts, this is the very same reason there was no post last week.) This has definitely been the worst case of it so far, and reading a book is not even on my radar right now. I'm pretty good with a few school books in the morning with my kindergartener, but by the time I have a moment to read, my brain has long ago checked out.



So here is a list of books I've finally gotten around to finishing, or finished in the last few weeks or months and simply haven't had a chance to tell you about them. I am going to add one book that I am almost finished with, the one that drew me to pile a few dozen more books to my nightstand.

Caddie Woodlawn - Carol Ryrie Brink

I started this book a year or two ago and finished it a few months ago. I'm not sure why it took so long for me to pick it back up and finish it. (maybe I just picked it up at the wrong time)  It is a delightful book about young Caddie and her family. There are lovely adventures, scary moments, and plenty of bravery and spunk on Caddie's part. If you enjoy the Little House on the Prairie series you will enjoy this book also.


Disciplines of a Godly Woman - Barbara Hughes

I was required to read through this book one summer before working at a Christian camp. I remembered it being a great book and recently read back through it. I added a whole new set of underlining to the book this time through. My favorite chapter was on nurturing - a great perspective for mothers and childless women alike. The book covers a large array of topics and is good for all ages teen and up.


The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien 

This was my first time through this classic. I am now excited to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have recently heard from good sources that they are more than a good classic, they are life changing! You say, how can a fantasy novel be life changing? Because sometimes it's hard to see what's right in front of us, and we need to step back and look at our situation in a different light, from a different perspective. The fantasy writing of people like Tolkien and Lewis bring you closer to reality rather giving you a place to "escape" reality.


The Life-Giving Table - Sally Clarkson

I listened to this book on audio and was quickly drawn into the Clarkson family traditions, and laughter. After finishing the book I started listening to Sally Clarkson's podcast. Sally is a conversational, sit over coffee, encouraging, friend. I love her voice, her conversational style, her perspective, and her heart. Her children are often talked about her in book and frequent her podcast, they are following in their parents footsteps and doing great things. This particular book is all about hospitality - hospitality to guests, friends and your own family. The book is full of delicious recipes also. (although listening via audio makes it difficult to use the recipes.) 


Mere Motherhood - Cindy Rollins

A living book is a delicious way to tell a story, history, or event in a fun way, like reading a fiction novel. This book, "Mere Motherhood" is just that, a living book about life and homeschooling. Cindy Rollins describes her life as a mother of nine, homeschooling, and constantly moving across the United States, her success and failures in homeschooling.


Unhurried Homeschooler - Durenda Wilson

The title of this book is also the best description of the book. I reread it just before starting school this year. It takes one or two evenings to get through it.


Teaching From Rest - Sarah Mackenzie 

One of my favorite people who is busy changing the world. I listen to her podcast "The Read-Aloud Revival" faithfully, and enjoy the many things she has to offer on her website. This book is another reread before starting school. Slightly longer than Durenda Wilson's, but full of great insight, and reminders like " It's about relationships, not results".


Home Education (vol 1) - Charlotte Mason

This is one of six volumes from the 19th century Charlotte Mason. She did a lot of research and teaching on education. Her philosophy covers home and school and is a popular way of homeschooling today. The language is difficult to read because of when it was written, but the more I read it, the more familiar I become with the style and the more quickly I can read and understand it. (I have yet to accomplish this with Shakespeare.)


Shy Boy - Monty Roberts

This book was recommended and given to me by a friend. It is the story of a man who disagrees with the way horses are broken and trained and works out his own way to do it. He then commits his time training others and giving demonstrations in hopes that his kind way will overcome the cruel way most people treat the horses. It is a lovely book of God's creation, patience, love, and kindness.


Henry Huggins - Beverly Cleary 

This is my third Beverly Cleary book and I now understand why she is a classic. My five year old and I read this together as a read aloud and we laughed so much. It's ordinary, every day, funny life about a boy and his dog. I can't wait to read more of her work. 

Understood Betsy - Dorthy Canfield Fisher

This book has become a new favorite of mine. I bought it for my shelf a few days after reading it. Although it is written for children, adults will learn as much or more about caring for and understanding children. 

Hannah Coulter - Wendell Berry

Wendell Berry is a current author, but you would never know it. He writes as if he were as famous and old as Charles Dickens. His perspective on life as seen through the eyes of his characters is beautiful and will cause you to think so deeply it just might change your life forever. 


Book Girl  - Sarah Clarkson

Do you see the marker? This is the book I am still reading, although almost finished. ( I would have been done by now if I could think more clearly.) Sarah is the daughter of Sally Clarkson and this is her newest book. She gives some great books recommendations (although I don't agree with them all) and some really deep reading ideas. She loves theology, good novels, and poetry. She is the reason I have started stacking up some of the bigger books I've been putting off or grabbing classics to reread. 
Here is a quote I read just this morning... " A woman who reads is a rebel, defying the pace of the instant at which the modern world gallops from dawn till dusk."


Happy book stacking!!
Sarah 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42 Questions To Ask Your Spouse On Valentine's Day

If you and your spouse were on the Newlywed game show... would you win? My husband and I are going to a couple's retreat next month and decided to get a head start on it by brushing up on our newlywed gameshow questions. We actually did pretty well the first time through, but we keep giving each other pop quizzes to keep the answers fresh in our minds. Below I've made a list of common couples questions that you and your spouse might find fun to ask each other. 1) What is your spouse's all time favorite movie? 2) What would your spouse request as their "last meal"? 3) What is your spouse's favorite pastime? 4) What percentage of housework would your husband say he does? 5) What flavor of cake did you have at your wedding? 6) What is your spouse's ideal date night? 7) Excluding people, what would your spouse say is their most prized possession? 8) At what specific sport or game will you wife say she is better than you? 9) What is your spouse&#

DIY Window Cleaner

Day two of our prep work for the Spring Cleaning Challenge! Today I'm going to give you a recipe for window cleaner.  I've also been told that using warm water and a little bit of cornstarch is a great way to clean your windows as well. I don't have a recipe or a ratio for you though. I hope you are gearing up for the Challenge, it's only 7 days away! Don't forget to leave a comment below if you want to join us for the Spring Cleaning Challenge. Sarah

Mom Rules

Being a mom has a whole lot more to do with life than changing poopy diapers, nursing, schooling, dressing, and disciplining. It's when you change that diaper or where you nurse your baby, how you go about schooling and why and how you discipline. I've made a short 3 point list of rules every mom (or parent) should have. It's short and easy to remember so you can quickly think through the questions when parenting. Rule 1 - The Golden Rule Matthew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the law and prophets." Treat your children as if they are a person, a real person who understand, cares, feels, and dreams. They are not your minions, your slaves, or even yours at all for that matter. They belong to the Lord and they are yours to nurture, love, and teach. They have a soul, and feelings. When debating if you have time to change their diaper, or heat up their lunch, or grab that pair of mittens… remember they have fe