Skip to main content

Doesn't Anybody else feel like this? Aching Hearts





When you feel down hearted or out of place, usually you feel alone. You wonder - "Does anybody else have this problem?" Of course deep down in you know there is, you are no different than the next person when it comes to problems.
For me it's living in the city. I look all around me - at my neighbors in the apartment next to me, the couple who walks together everyday down my street, the JW's that market my neighborhood weekly, the crazy kid speeding through my neighborhood in his junky sports car - and it's normal. Life is normal for them. They aren't bothered by the endless apartments and houses, the electric lines, the lack of privacy or open fields. No one seems bothered that they don't have a yard or a garden. And that's when I wonder - "Doesn't anybody else feel out of place here?" "Am I the only one who struggles with this?"
My heart aches -until it physically hurts - for the country. Sometimes I lay on my apartment floor and look out the window so all I can see are the tree tops and clouds and dream that nothing else is out there. I cry, I get depressed, I sulk. And then I dream and plan and hope that I'll get used to it, or that another way will be provided."
Yes, it's that bad. This is something I fight every single day. We all have things that we struggle with and unfortunately a lot of people don't understand our feelings toward those struggles.

But I don't say all of that for you to feel bad for me. I say it so you can relate to how I feel about my struggles. And then I want to twist the table on you (and me) and ask: How can I have a yearning like that for God? I grew up in the country, I've had it ingrained in me for more than 20 years. There are a lot of people who haven't had the chance to grow up in a Christian environment and even those who have, still find it hard to yearn for God. So how do we yearn for God? The Writers of Psalms seemed to think on this question frequently:

Psalm 119:20 "My soul is crushed with longing after Your ordinances at all times."

Psalm 73:25 "Whom have I in Heaven but You?And besides You, I desire nothing on earth."

Psalm 42:2 "My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God?"

Psalm 63:1 "O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

Psalm 143:6 "I stretch out my hands to You; my soul longs for You, as a parched land. Selah."

The more you have something, the more you get used to it, expect it, and need it. The first step to a desire for God is to make it a habit in your life. Wether that be to read a written prayer, read a portion - however short of long - of scripture, go to church, take notes in church, attend sunday school... whatever that step needs to be, take it. Make it a habit. Make it expected by yourself, your family, your neighbors. Make it needful for life.

Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42 Questions To Ask Your Spouse On Valentine's Day

If you and your spouse were on the Newlywed game show... would you win? My husband and I are going to a couple's retreat next month and decided to get a head start on it by brushing up on our newlywed gameshow questions. We actually did pretty well the first time through, but we keep giving each other pop quizzes to keep the answers fresh in our minds. Below I've made a list of common couples questions that you and your spouse might find fun to ask each other. 1) What is your spouse's all time favorite movie? 2) What would your spouse request as their "last meal"? 3) What is your spouse's favorite pastime? 4) What percentage of housework would your husband say he does? 5) What flavor of cake did you have at your wedding? 6) What is your spouse's ideal date night? 7) Excluding people, what would your spouse say is their most prized possession? 8) At what specific sport or game will you wife say she is better than you? 9) What is your spouse&#

DIY Window Cleaner

Day two of our prep work for the Spring Cleaning Challenge! Today I'm going to give you a recipe for window cleaner.  I've also been told that using warm water and a little bit of cornstarch is a great way to clean your windows as well. I don't have a recipe or a ratio for you though. I hope you are gearing up for the Challenge, it's only 7 days away! Don't forget to leave a comment below if you want to join us for the Spring Cleaning Challenge. Sarah

Mom Rules

Being a mom has a whole lot more to do with life than changing poopy diapers, nursing, schooling, dressing, and disciplining. It's when you change that diaper or where you nurse your baby, how you go about schooling and why and how you discipline. I've made a short 3 point list of rules every mom (or parent) should have. It's short and easy to remember so you can quickly think through the questions when parenting. Rule 1 - The Golden Rule Matthew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the law and prophets." Treat your children as if they are a person, a real person who understand, cares, feels, and dreams. They are not your minions, your slaves, or even yours at all for that matter. They belong to the Lord and they are yours to nurture, love, and teach. They have a soul, and feelings. When debating if you have time to change their diaper, or heat up their lunch, or grab that pair of mittens… remember they have fe