Skip to main content

Great Ways to Occupy Little Minds


I have a unique job, that allows me to take my daughter to work with me everyday. It is a huge blessing and I couldn't ask for anything better. But of course it comes with its challenges also. How do I keep her occupied while I'm working? She is not required to be overly quiet and she has plenty of room to run around. (at least for an 18months old she does.)
Here are some things we use regularly at the office:

1) Stickers! Any sort of pad or piece of paper, coloring book and sometimes (unfortunately) the floor works for stickers. Right now I have to help her get most of the stickers off of the page, but it does keep her occupied for a good long time.

2) Pre-K Activity Books. I went to the $1 store and picked up some of these books. They have books for shapes, colors, numbers, etc... Some of the pages are too hard so she just colors on them, and all of them need adult supervision. We do a page or two a day together - we color and circle things a lot - and when the book is full she gets it to herself to do as she pleases. Usually she attempts to circle things like we've learned.

3) Clipboard and Coloring Page. Half the fun of the clipboard is the hole in the top of the clip. Crayons fit perfectly through it. Oh, and it's great for coloring and stickers too. (see how we take the same concept and mix it up...A LOT!)

4) Toy Basket. I have two small baskets full of toys. I try to switch them out frequently to keep it fresh. Right now she has dishes and food, cars, blocks, and books.

5) Books. Books aren't a huge hit in the office, but if I have time to read her a few, it can go a long way.

6) Toons. Baby Einstein is a great show that teaches and occupies. We have set time each day when we watch our "toons". (It's right before lunch and nap time.)

7) Tunes. Yes they are different :) I have a playlist of children's songs on my phone. My daughter loves to listen to it, dance to it, sing to it, and carry the phone around.

8) Apps. I have a folder full of just "Emma" apps. She knows where it is, and it keeps her busy for way to long. (but watch out, they like to call their Daddies!)

9) Special Toy. Every so often I let her bring a special toy to work... baby doll, favorite stuffed animal, etc...

I hope these activities help you. They really aren't unique or special, just a variety of the same things. Kids love repetition!

Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Your Apartment More Homey - Part 5

Welcome to part 5 of my mini series "How to Make Your Apartment More Homey". Once you get a grasp on the first four topics you've really got something going for you. These last two steps are definitely not the meat of the problem.  Today we will focus on - The Color Palette. A little bit of color theory wouldn't hurt anyone. I realize that we are alway feeling the need to try something new and be a little different. It's called fashion, and that's okay. Be different! Make a statement! It's good to try something new. But if it's ugly just say so, don't lie to save your pride. Your pride has already been painted all over that new yellow couch!  You can google a basic color wheel and the different ways to pair the colors or most people have an eye for what looks good together. It's usually a good thing to stick with the same hue (bold with bold, or pastels with pastels, and burnt colors with burnt colors) but even that isn't alwa...

Spring Cleaning Challenge Day 6 Psalm 51:10

Welcome to your first day of rest. Tomorrow is Sunday, a day that should be put aside to worship the Lord and to rest your body from physical activity. Each Sunday we will meditate on a verse that reflects having a clean heart. Because we all know that a spotless house doesn't make us truly happy. Only a clean heart can keep a smile on our faces. Psalm 51:10  Create in me a clean heart, O God,  and renew a right spirit within me.  What does a clean heart look like? Who judges wether the heart is clean or not? Who cares about your heart more than anyone else? Just like we have been pulling out our furniture this week looking for dust bunnies, take a moment to pull out the furniture in your life and look for "Me" bunnies. Search out your heart for selfish things you've tucked away, whether it be a secret, a personal pleasure, a blatant sin, or an old heartache.  When you've found them, take them all one by one and lay them out in a straight row in front of...

Spring Cleaning Challenge- Day 21, Shower

I hope you had a wonderful weekend, celebrating Easter with family and friends. This week we will be focusing on the bathrooms. (I hope you don't have very many) Because I'm not getting this post out till late morning you might consider swapping today's task and tomorrow's. If you get up early and have already taken a shower you might not want to clean the shower today. Instead you can jump ahead to tomorrow and clean the shower curtain and liner. Then tomorrow morning when you take a shower you can clean it. Do whatever works best with your schedule. CHALLENGE: Clean you shower(s) till it sparkles. Here is a link back to the post about shower cleaner. It really does work the best; It makes my shower tiles sparkle! I find that taking a shower while cleaning it is the easiest way. If you have multiple showers, you might consider not getting soaking wet every time, or asking a spouse or child to help you. Take a scrub brush to work on grout mold, and a sponge to wipe ...